"THE INCOMPATIBILITY OF HAPPINESS AND TRUTH"
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 05:15:10 UTC
According to the following:

- Brave New World is full of characters who do everything they can
to avoid facing the truth about their own situations. The almost
universal use of the drug soma is probably the most pervasive
example of such willful self-delusion. Soma clouds the realities
of the present and replaces them with happy hallucinations, and is
thus a tool for promoting social stability...According to Mustapha
Mond, the World State prioritizes happiness at the expense of
truth by design: he believes that people are better off with
happiness than with truth.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/bravenew/themes.html
tooly
2018-02-06 12:51:33 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
- Brave New World is full of characters who do everything they can
to avoid facing the truth about their own situations. The almost
universal use of the drug soma is probably the most pervasive
example of such willful self-delusion. Soma clouds the realities
of the present and replaces them with happy hallucinations, and is
thus a tool for promoting social stability...According to Mustapha
Mond, the World State prioritizes happiness at the expense of
truth by design: he believes that people are better off with
happiness than with truth.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/bravenew/themes.html
One of my main arguments here is that, we as intelligent creatures, enter a 'crisis' era, where our understanding of the universe outdistances our capacity to hold onto purposeful reason for consciousness. If the psychological sustenance of 'survival' requires both a 'positive' pull [some hope or enriching ideal to shoot for] as well as the predominant 'negative' push [pain, fear, death]...then it could be argued [I do] that we are losing that positivity on the 'pull side'. Can the 'push' alone [essentially fear] maintain us?

I often refer to Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot' synopsis [just a paragraph or two depicting earth as a tiny pixel as seen from the rings of Saturn], as exemplifying the problem we face. Obviously, there is some sort of 'relativity' going on...but 'psychologically' I don't think our brains do very well 'thinking outside this particular box' [ie our own world and our 'relative' place with that 'cosmos']. As we grow more aware of the gargantuan pure size of things and how miniscule we are, belief systems that have sustained us psychologically for eons begin to fail. We 'replace' them with science...almost as a new religion of sorts, but of a kind that only allows a bare few at the top 'any' sustenance [the elites, the intellectuals, the scientists themselves...anyone driven by pure curiosity as their mainstay].

Thankfully, our technology makes surviving 'easier' [than, say cave dwelling days]...and thusly, perhaps offsets the need for pure psychological sustenance [take a gander at European catherdrals like CHartes or Colongne..and let it sink in the tremendous 'gestalts' that MUST have existed to create such things...or the pyramids or...well, you get the idea].

The truth is? The reality is? Even with all the science available now, we still can't say for 'sure'...can we? Even science leads us to fantastic conjectures of either 'it all came from nothing' in a FINITE time [and universe], or the ideas of multiverses or parallel universes or 'who knows what' in INFINITE time.

But...we are HERE; now. And it appears all things are momentary. It might leave us with the question how BEST to EXPERIENCE this moment we have...and if the TRUTH carries us to morbid conclusions...well, we still have one another maybe [sometimes anyway, ha].

Any comments on what Freud called our 'super ego' [that 'moral' side to thought?]; how might we find new validity to validate it [or not]; or are we left forever now lost to our 'Freudian' 'egotistical' selves [calculating, politically oriented against one another, cleverness ruling, no right or wrong but only 'smart'...ergo Machiavellian of sorts]. Maybe there never really was a 'super ego'...just tom foolery of that 'self'.
g***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 20:29:21 UTC
Post by tooly
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]