Along the lines of transcendence being nothing special
Add Reply
oldernow
2024-04-17 01:32:05 UTC
Title: Timeless Wisdom: How Extraordinary is the Ordinary!
2024-04-17 20:45:54 UTC
Post by D
Post by oldernow
Title: Timeless Wisdom: How Extraordinary is the Ordinary!
Brilliant! Thank you for the link!
You're welcome!

In a similar artery:

| "There is no greater mystery than this, that |
| we keep seeking reality though in fact we |
| are reality. We think that there is something |
| hiding reality and that this must be destroyed |
| before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day |
| will dawn when you will laugh at all your past |
| efforts. That which will be the day you laugh |
| is also here and now." |
| |
| ~ Ramana Maharshi |
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com
2024-04-20 22:18:31 UTC
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Post by oldernow
Title: Timeless Wisdom: How Extraordinary is the Ordinary!
Brilliant! Thank you for the link!
You're welcome!
| "There is no greater mystery than this, that |
| we keep seeking reality though in fact we |
| are reality. We think that there is something |
| hiding reality and that this must be destroyed |
| before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day |
| will dawn when you will laugh at all your past |
| efforts. That which will be the day you laugh |
| is also here and now." |
| |
| ~ Ramana Maharshi |
True. It does cast religious seekers in quite a fun light I'd say. =) On
the other hand... man seems to be designed to seek, to grasp, to expand,
to never settle and always expect something behinds the next turn. So
realizing that it was there all along goes extremely against human nature
I think, and that is probably why it is so extremely difficult.
oldernow
2024-04-21 14:29:01 UTC
Post by D
Post by oldernow
| "There is no greater mystery than this, that |
| we keep seeking reality though in fact we |
| are reality. We think that there is something |
| hiding reality and that this must be destroyed |
| before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day |
| will dawn when you will laugh at all your past |
| efforts. That which will be the day you laugh |
| is also here and now." |
| |
| ~ Ramana Maharshi |
True. It does cast religious seekers in quite a fun light
I'd say. =) On the other hand... man seems to be designed
to seek, to grasp, to expand, to never settle and always
expect something behinds the next turn. So realizing
that it was there all along goes extremely against human
nature I think, and that is probably why it is so extremely
difficult.
Indeed. It literally makes us irrelevant, and our precious
self-definitions no like-y that!

Thing is, though, said notional selves were irrelevent
from the very conception, and the "transcendence" we keep
referring to on an off is merely seeing it in a way that
obviates the seer....
--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com
2024-04-22 10:19:15 UTC
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Post by oldernow
[...]
Sometimes I have fun with theories of identities. You know the one that
says that we are all one? I try to imagine how that could be explained in
terms of material/scientific concepts.

I think my favourite is to imagine ourselves as consisting of the same raw
materials. We all come from the same source (big bang), and we all exist
in the same field of atoms. Every living and dead thing on the planet
exists, connected in the same field of atoms, ultimately separate by the
vacuum of space. So from that point of view, we could be seen as
"materially one".

Then we have consciousness. All consciousness is fueled by some kind of
electric activity in nerves. It could theoretically be argued that this
electric activity which fuels every living thing, is part of the same
chain of causation going back to the first spark.

So materially we are in fact "one" (from the point of view of a field of
atoms encompassing everything from the vacuum of space down to the earths
core) and in terms of the nervous system and consciousness, we share the
same causation, the same spark, from the beginning. The spark has just
settled in a multiplicity of hosts, but through the chain of cause and
effect, it is ultimately the same spark.

Well, enough mumbo-jumbo for now. ;)
oldernow
2024-04-22 12:55:54 UTC
Post by D
[...]
I was reading something similar to such the
other night, but it was what to me are more traditional
examples, like this from the Lankavatara Sutra, which I
believe is, in part, trying to say that distinctions are
purely in mind:

| Mahamati, it is like a lump of clay and the particles of |
| dust making up its substance, they are neither different |
| nor not-different; again, it is like gold and various |
| ornaments made of it. If, Mahamati, the lump of clay |
| is different from its particles of dust, no lump will |
| ever come out of them. But as it comes out of them it |
| is not different from the particles of dust. Again, if |
| there is no difference between the two, the lump will be |
| indistinguishable from its particles. |

I tend to want to reinterpret that as: Mental discriminations
do not affect the bona fide nature of the referents, and thus
are indistinguishable from the stuff dreams are made of, which
is to say the entire field of mind is hallucination which
wisdom often says is best transcended - which is kind of
a misleading word for somewhat implying "going above /
beyond", when it's more a "going beneath" said field
of re-presentation.
Post by D
Well, enough mumbo-jumbo for now. ;)
Heh, last night I watched/heard Nicolas Cage enunciates
"much-jumbo" in a hilariously derisive way in "The Family
Man". So, thanks for being an agent of Synchronicity!
--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com

2024-04-20 22:23:23 UTC
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Post by oldernow
Title: Timeless Wisdom: How Extraordinary is the Ordinary!
Brilliant! Thank you for the link!
You're welcome!
| "There is no greater mystery than this, that |
| we keep seeking reality though in fact we |
| are reality. We think that there is something |
| hiding reality and that this must be destroyed |
| before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day |
| will dawn when you will laugh at all your past |
| efforts. That which will be the day you laugh |
| is also here and now." |
| |
| ~ Ramana Maharshi |
Actually, on the theme of "being happy here and now" have a look at the
movie Perfect days from 2023. A japanese movie about a toilet cleaner who
enjoys flowers, music and taking photos and who is after all fairly happy
with life. Strongly recommended, very beautiful movie if you can stand a
movie without a single shot being fired. ;)
oldernow
2024-04-21 14:30:01 UTC
Post by D
Post by oldernow
| "There is no greater mystery than this, that |
| we keep seeking reality though in fact we |
| are reality. We think that there is something |
| hiding reality and that this must be destroyed |
| before reality is gained. How ridiculous! A day |
| will dawn when you will laugh at all your past |
| efforts. That which will be the day you laugh |
| is also here and now." |
| |
| ~ Ramana Maharshi |
Actually, on the theme of "being happy here and now" have
a look at the movie Perfect days from 2023. A japanese
movie about a toilet cleaner who enjoys flowers, music
and taking photos and who is after all fairly happy with
life. Strongly recommended, very beautiful movie if you
can stand a movie without a single shot being fired. ;)
I can when it's a movie, but can't when it's bedtime before
sleep! ;-)

Thanks for the pointer!
--
oldernow