Some thoughts on Nietzsche.
2024-05-19 10:44:23 UTC
I'm currently reading Human, all too Human part 2, and did you know that
Nietzsche predicts the EU in the book? Writing that the history and
customs of the individual cantons (as he calls the member countries, after
the swiss system) will gradually fade over time.

Then he continues to write about the three threats to democracy:

1. The have-nots.
2. The ultra-rich.
3. Political parties.

As with Nietzsche, he always writes short chapters which sometimes makes
it difficult to divine what he has in mind.

My theory is the following:

1. The have-nots.

If people who live on the system, get to control the system, the ones who
do work and contribute will eventually become slaves if the have-nots
continue to increase. To vote you should have "skin in the game" (be a
net-contributor).

2. The ultra-rich.

The ultra-rich have enormous power and influence and can bribe, use their
companies as platforms for spreading their message, newspaper, social
media etc. That gives them an outsized influence. Today, we have
ultra-rich who owe most of their wealth not to capitalism, but to their
ability to suck up to the government to get nice contracts.

3. Like the ultra-rich, political parties become enormously powerful over
time. They sink deep roots into society by think tanks, non-profits, and
eventually the politicians become professional politicians who never had a
job in the private sector. They pass on their power within the family and
become political clans. They will fight tooth and nail for stasis, to
remain in power.

I think a big part of Nietzsches analyses was inspired by ancient greece.
During my recent vacation I read a history book about ancient greece, and
except for the have-nots, nr 2 and 3 did happen in ancient greece.

So what do you think?
oldernow
2024-05-20 14:14:11 UTC
Post by D
So what do you think?
From the Lankavatara Sutra:

"The Blessed One replied, saying: Mahamati, the error in
these erroneous teachings that are generally held by the
philosophers lies in this: they do not recognise that the
objective world rises from the mind itself; they do not
understand that the whole mind-system also rises from the
mind itself; but depending upon these manifestations of
the mind as being real they go on discriminating them,
like the simple-minded ones that they are, cherishing
the dualism of this and that, of being and non-being,
ignorant of the fact that there is but one common
Essence."
--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com
Do you have proof of that?
oldernow
2024-05-21 17:12:45 UTC
Post by oldernow
Post by D
So what do you think?
"The Blessed One replied, saying: Mahamati, the error in
these erroneous teachings that are generally held by the
philosophers lies in this: they do not recognise that the
objective world rises from the mind itself; they do not
understand that the whole mind-system also rises from the
mind itself; but depending upon these manifestations of
the mind as being real they go on discriminating them,
like the simple-minded ones that they are, cherishing
the dualism of this and that, of being and non-being,
ignorant of the fact that there is but one common
Essence."
Do you have proof of that?
I can't answer that until I know what constitutes proof to/for you.

The right combination of words? A sign in the heavens? Some inner personal experience?
--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com
Let's start with the good old scientific experiment! =)
oldernow
2024-05-22 01:08:46 UTC
Post by D
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Do you have proof of that?
I can't answer that until I know what constitutes proof
to/for you.
The right combination of words? A sign in the heavens? Some
inner personal experience?
Let's start with the good old scientific experiment! =)
Okay. I just pray to an underlying reality you don't
believe in that it doesn't turn out to be just words,
words, and more words that your faith blesses as
more than just words, words, and more words,
because I'm *weary* of the word-mediated
conceptuality infinite regression....
--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com
2024-05-24 08:14:50 UTC
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Post by oldernow
Post by D
Do you have proof of that?
I can't answer that until I know what constitutes proof
to/for you.
The right combination of words? A sign in the heavens? Some
inner personal experience?
Let's start with the good old scientific experiment! =)
Okay. I just pray to an underlying reality you don't
believe in that it doesn't turn out to be just words,
words, and more words that your faith blesses as
more than just words, words, and more words,
because I'm *weary* of the word-mediated
conceptuality infinite regression....
Well, I can certainly understand your psychological state and weariness.
In terms of what is blessed as faith, I think the only compatible attitude
is that of the experimentalist and the agnostic. But materialism does rank
very high on the probability scale for me.